Since my mom is usually the baker of goods during the Holidays, I figured I would try something of my own in the hopes I wouldn’t fail miserably.
I took a basic cake ball recipe and incorporated a couple of Nestlé candies, which ended up making the taste buds have a weird party in my mouth. Still not sure if I like it, but the kids sure do!
- Cake, any kind, any flavor. I ended up using a box cake so I wouldn’t have to deal with a super messy kitchen.
- Frosting, again, any kind any flavor. (only use 1/3 can or a couple of tbsp depending on the moistness of your cake.)
- 1 lb Nestlé Crunch Bar
- 1 box of holiday colored nerds.
- Bake cake according to directions.
- When done, let cool then crumble the cake into fine crumbs.
- Melt the crunch bar a little at a time in a boiler pot or in the microwave (I found the microwave to be faster.) Only do 30 seconds at a time to avoid burning the chocolate.
- Add in frosting a little bit at a time until cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yet still slightly crumbly.
- Use your hands to mix the frosting into the cake crumbs.
- Mix the melted crunch bar into the frosted cake crumbs.
- Use a mini ice cream scoop and scoop out a ball of cake mixture or just do it with your hands if you don’t have one.
- Roll the mixture into a tight ball and place on a plate.
- Repeat until all the cake mixture has been rolled into balls.
- Take some nerds and sprinkle them over the cake ball.
- Freeze for about 20 minutes.
Some things I learned when making cake balls:
1. Most recipes tell you to use an entire thing of frosting. I followed this mistake and ended up with a goopy mess afterwards. So, please go EASY on the Frosting. You only need about a third of a can if that, all depends on the moistness of the cake.
2. Use your hands when mixing. It’ll look like you aren’t putting enough frosting in if you use your blending tools. You will know whether you’re using too much frosting when you use your hands when you go to make a ball.
3. Have a mini ice cream scoop? Use that to scoop out the dough in even portions. I didn’t have one of these when I did it.
I was originally going to melt the chocolate crunch bar and use it to dip the cake ball in once it had been done freezing, but my recipe was way too moist from too much frosting so that may work for you if you don’t make the same mistake as I.