If you’ve reached this post then you know that most beauty products on the market aren’t good for the biggest and one of the most important organ; the skin. It’s the first thing that people notice about you. I’m not gonna lie. My skin texture leaves little to be desired. I have freckles which are caused from the sun so that means I have sun damaged skin. I was tired of using products with parabens, propylene glycol, paraffin, sodium lauryl sulfate, you know, the bad chemicals that absorb into your skin and cause all kind of issues like dry skin, hair loss, inhibit skin cell growth and cause possible cancer. Anything that I can do to avoid these conditions is a must in my book!
I am a little late getting this DIY all-natural body butter salve recipe for dry winter skin up, but now’s just as perfect time as any since it’s still winter and most of us are still dealing with dreaded dry skin.
Since I have really short eyelashes and don’t want to pay a well-known beauty brand big bucks for their magical eyelash growth serum, I decided I would make my own. Plus, I am not fond of all the unknown chemicals that these companies add into their products. I am trying to go through life now with a more natural approach even though it’s a little more expensive. My family and I are important to me and so is our health, so it’s worth it.
The Ultimate DIY All Natural Eyelash Growth Serum
This post is in partnership with The Dollar Shave Club. I received the products pictured free of charge. All opinions are 100% my own and were not influenced in any way.
I don’t know about you, but I love practical gifts that I’ll actually use. It saves me money that I can otherwise use on things I actually want, you know, like, expensive clothes that no one else is going to buy me. 😉
But gifting personal hygiene products doesn’t have to mean you’re insinuating they smell and to use stronger soap. Gifting premium products mean you actually care about the most important organ of their body, the skin. We get many layers of skin, but the surface is what counts, so we may as well pamper it like we’re supposed to with The Dollar Shave Clubs Dr. Carver and Wanderer body product line.
I was interested in the Dr. Carver and Wanderer line because they developed it on their own using top-shelf ingredients and botanicals, and didn’t incorporate harmful ingredients like sulfates or parabens. They also don’t test on animals, just their interns.
I am trying to steer clear of sulfates since I think they are contributing to my really bad dandruff problem and eczema issues.
With the high costs of beauty products nowadays, I decided I wanted to start making my own. Plus, the ingredient list of some items you see in the store or even have in your bathroom is mind baffling. Like why would I want to put all of those chemicals on one of the most important organs; my skin? No thanks!
So I started collecting some items I would need, like organic coconut oil, African Raw unrefined shea butter, apricot kernel oil, and an array of essential oils just to get me started.
For this recipe, I used the above and doTERRA’s lavender and wild orange essential oils.
- High in monoterpenes, Wild Orange possesses stimulating and purifying qualities, making it ideal to support healthy immune system function when seasonal threats are high.
- As with many citrus peel oils, Wild Orange contains powerful antioxidants that help maintain overall health.
- In ancient times, the Egyptians and Romans used Lavender for bathing, relaxation, cooking, and as a perfume; it is widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities which continue to be Lavender’s most notable qualities.
- Lavender is frequently used to reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
- Add to bath water to soak away stress or apply to the temples and the back of the neck.
- Add a few drops of Lavender to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet to promote a restful night’s sleep.
How to make Lavender-Orange Body Butter
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup of unrefined shea butter.
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
- 1/2 cup of apricot kernel oil. (or any other fast absorbing carrier oil)
- 15 drops of Lavender and 15 drops of wild orange. (add more for a stronger smell.
- Combine the shea butter, the coconut oil, and apricot together in a double boiler, or use a pan and a metal or glass bowl if you don’t have a double boiler. Heat until melted. It’s faster if you break up the shea butter into smaller chunks.
- Once melted, remove from heat and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes. It should still be warm.
- Add your drops of essential oils. (If it needs more, add 5-10 more drops each.)
- Place the bowl in the freezer until slightly hardened. Around 30 minutes. I forgot about mine and it was solid, but it still worked, just took a bit longer to whip.
- Whip the solid contents for 5-8 minutes until you get a whipped consistency using a mixer, either hand or stand. I used hand cause that’s all I have atm.
- Add body butter to jars. I used Ball brand 4oz jelly jars and it only filled about 3 of them.
I made these as baby shower prizes for my sisters baby shower a couple weeks ago and it was a hit!
I was afraid they’d melt in the summer heat, but nope they stayed whipped. Granted it wasn’t super hot that day, maybe mid-70s.
One of these 4 oz jars lasts a long time and should be shelf stable as long as you get no water in it for at least 6 months. A little bit goes a long way too!
I love it because I have dry skin. Makes my bumpy arms feel so soft after a week of using it.
I’ll be trying to make more chemical free items when I get the chance now that I have a little one, so stay tuned!
I haven’t been too into a bunch of make up lately, just the usual foundation, blush, and mascara. Having a new baby leaves me little time or desire to get as ready as I’d like to when leaving the house. Trust me, there are days where I’m okay with being frumpy, then there’s other days where I want to look a little nicer.
Pixi Beauty has just what I need to make me feel and look good. They have 3 new kits out that I am dying to try!
- Natural Contour Kit is your one-stop solution for face and eyes! Organized in one light-weight palette, all of your Holiday looks will be fuss-free and flawless!
- Endless Silky Eye Pen quartette has a color for every one of your Holiday looks this season! With this award winning waterproof formula, they won’t budge or smudge, and the gel texture makes them glide on with ease!
- Mattelustre Lipstick quartette adds a touch of color to your look, and they demi-matte finish wears on and on! Infused with vitamins, the hydrating formula keeps your lips looking great even after you take it off!
What’s great is all 3 are portable, very versatile and a must-have for all your beauty needs!